Sunday, April 24, 2005

The Samaritans - Selection process

Yesterday I went to a selection meeting for the Samaritans. I have been through a lot in my own life, and thought it was about time I tried to see if I could help others who are having hard times.

It was quite an eye opener for me, and seeing how people view things, certainly some were more different than others, and I have always prided myself on being open minded, not easily shocked and very understanding of people. I still hold that view, nothing from yesterday changed that, if anything it made me think even more just how much I can take on board, and to be even more mindful of it.

I did struggle though to hear and these new bloody aids are doing me no good at all. I struggled on Friday in the interview I had, and yesterday as well. I am not a happy bunny or PnB over this.

I am hoping that it won't affect their decision as to whether to take me on or not. It would be nice to volunteer my time each week, helping them out, and hopefully helping those who call via the phone, or email, or even visit the branch.

I will be a little sad if I don't get asked to come for the training, but I know I would be in good company, as they do pass well qualified people by. It is known that they do say no to therapist, psychologists and plenty of others you would expect to be right. It is all down to removing the thought to give advice, and just listen, and let the person work it all out for themselves and just help shine the light and nothing more really.

If anyone ever needs them - Samaritans - They take emails as well, so no need to call if you feel uncomfortable calling.

No comments: